Sunday, August 16, 2009

Regency stays!

I know I've got a lot to do but in a month there will be a party themed 1809 and I sooo want to get everything perfect. I'm totally addicted to Pride and Prejudice (BBC 1995) and so I wouldn't want to disappoint Madame Berg (who I believe has suffered while I watched it for the 100th time this month!) by wearing a hideous and historically incorrect outfit. Well today was my lucky day! I just found the easiest stays ever and I got some fabric scraps that were just enough to make them. They're from sometime between 1800 and 1810. What do you guys think?

6 comments:

  1. Yay for 1995 P&P - I've watched it far too much, too! I was really confused by the stays at first, but I think I get it now - are they the wrap-over style? I saw some like this on a website with someone wearing them - they gave a lovely shape. http://giftshop.janeausten.co.uk/acatalog/info_510.html Looks like the shoulders and back are slightly different, but it's the same cross-over idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the stays you linked to are based on these as they too are from the Kyoto museum. I've almost finished them (it only takes a few hours) so I'll probably post a picture tomorrow.
    BTW- Isn't Colin Firth the most handsome Mr Darcy EVER?! (I envy Jennifer Ehle in that last scene...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - I believe the phrase you're looking for is 'Ding dong!' I could watch the scene where they first dance over and over and over - the music fits the tension between them so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know!!! They found the perfect cast and the prefect music to go with it! I just watched the entire series again today. I regret nothing. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a great model - I'll remember that one if I ever need early 19th c stays! =D Do you have a pattern anywhere? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just drew out the shape on the fabric directly and edited as I was going along but I could make you a pattern in about 5 minutes and upload to the forum. :) They're super easy!

    ReplyDelete